Red Velvet Cupcakes

Being from the North, I have always heard of Red Velvet cake, but had never actually tried it. (I know, all you Southerners are falling off your chairs right now, get back up, it's okay!) I spotted a post on Design Sponge called "In the Kitchen with Amy Butler" where she was making her mother's red velvet cupcakes. Considering how fabulous all of Amy Butler's products are, I had no reason to think her mother's cupcakes wouldn't be fabulous themselves! Being Valentine's, I thought I would give them a try! They really turned out not too bad for an amateur. Here are my thoughts on the recipe:

*The fear of spilling food coloring is huge for me. Most recipes only call for a few drops, and this recipe required an entire ounce! That's the whole bottle! I was so afraid of getting the red all over everything, I even changed into grubby clothes before adding it and I washed the dishes very slowly and carefully when I was done so water didn't splash around the kitchen!
~
*The recipe used phrases like a "scant of salt" and "make a thickening of..." Are these phrases from down South, or am I really just that uneducated in the kitchen???
~
*I did try two times to make the frosting before I finally had to give up and send dear, sweet hubby to the store for Betty Crocker's variety. I don't think anyone could even tell the frosting wasn't homemade!
~
Don't let my comments discourage you though. Overall, they really weren't that difficult, and they do taste fantastic! If you're looking for a yummy, (sexy maybe?) dessert for Valentine's, go ahead and try them out!
~
Ann’s Red Velvet Cake

Preheat oven at 350

1 oz. red food coloring
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. margarine
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 scant tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. soda
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Mix coloring and cocoa together until smooth and set aside until needed. Do not stir.

Cream together butter, margarine and sugar. ( be sure to beat the mixture long enough…… the butter, margarine and sugar should look white and creamy )

Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Add cocoa mixture and mix until well blended.

Sift together two times: flour and salt.

Add alternately with buttermilk and mix well.

Place 1 tsp. soda on cake batter, then add 1 Tbsp. vinegar. Mix until well blended.

Pour into 2 well greased and floured 9″ cake pans

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

Cool and frost with French cream icing.


French Cream Icing

1 c. milk
6 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. margarine
1 c. fine granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Make a thickening of 1 c. milk and flour. ( blend with hand mixer )
Cook until thick but not clumpy, more like a thicker sauce.

Beat well to be sure it is very smooth. Take pan off heat and set in a pan of ice water to chill it.

Cream together butter, margarine and sugar for 15 - 20 minutes.

Add thickening and beat another 10 minutes. Add vanilla.

** Icing needs to be very cold.
You may want to put it in the freezer for a bit to thicken and cool it.***


If you choose to make cupcakes, this recipe yields about 36 of them.
~
Enjoy!