Quilt Update: Sorting and Sewing Strips

Last week's quilt update was all about cutting the fabric for my quilt, and this week the real fun began! (Check out this post from the Old Red Barn Co. for the instructions on making the blocks.)
~
First up was designing groups of six fabrics each to make the blocks with. My goal was to have each color and pattern represented in each block, which was really easy at the start, but got trickier as I went along. My one tip here: find a big space (the family room floor for me) where you can just spread out as much as needed! My husband fell asleep in the chair next to me while I was working on this and woke to find our room completely plastered in pinks, greens and aquas, I think he was a little confused at first!
(Sorry about the really bad pictures, that's what happens when I mix basement lighting with my basic-point-and-shoot camera)
~
Next it was time to sew! The quilt-along mentions that you can pin your strips of fabric or not pin them. My recommendation is to NOT pin them. By simply taking your time sewing and making sure that your fabrics are lined up as you go along, you will save yourself TONS of time!
Aren't you impressed that I can sew with one hand,
and take a picture with the other?!?
~
As excited as I am for this quilt, sewing strips of fabric over and over and over did get a little boring, so I did some alternating between sewing a few sections, then ironing a few. You know, just to spice things up a bit!
~
Just trust me though, your reward will come when your craft room starts to look like this:

That's called: PROGRESS!
~
Next up, cutting the strips down to block size, yippee!