Quilt Update: Cutting the Fabric

My big batch of Paula Prass fabric arrived in the mail, and within hours I had started my quilt! I have to admit, the fabric is a little brighter than what I was expecting it to be, but I guess that's just a chance one takes when ordering fabric online. I still really like it though, so I'm giving it a shot. If when all is said and done, I decide that it's too bright for what I was looking for in Claire's room, then we'll just have a fab new quilt to use outside. No worries!
~
So, I'm not going to recreate the tutorial for you as I go, I'll just link to each step at the Old Red Barn Co. The instructions for cutting the fabric for the quilt can be found here.
~
The tutorial requires 12 half yards of fabric, but my set came with 18 fabrics, and because I felt bad leaving any of them out, I opted to use them all. So, I had a little more cutting to do, but I think it will be worth it to have the variety I've got. Any extra strips I may have will just go towards a matching pillow sham. I would estimate that cutting all 18 fabrics took me about 2 hours. Keep in mind that I'm not a pro, and there were some interruptions, so all things considered, that probably wasn't too bad.
~
I have to admit, I was a big doubter of the whole fold-your-fabric-over-and-cut method. I had a really hard time believing how I would honestly end up with straight strips of fabric by doing that, but it works! Not to mention it saves TONS of time. If you're not sure of your cutting abilities, do what I did and start with a "forgiving" fabric first, (i.e. a floral pattern as opposed to stripes).
~
And finally, God bless rotary cutters and self-healing mats. By no means try to do a quilt without them, you would go nuts with all the cutting required, seriously.
Now, after all the work you've done, line up your pretty strips of fabric and admire how amazing they are. And, if you're like me, take a picture to make the moment last!
~
Next up, designing sets of 6 fabrics each, and then, SEWING!